Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Miniature Rooms

A number of years ago, my sisters and I bought my mom a miniature doll house.  She had been wanting one for a long time.  She has put a lot of work into it and it looks fabulous! I will have to get her to send me some pictures so I can share them with you.

Fast forward a few years…while I do share a number of my moms interests, I did not want to have a miniature doll house of my own.  They do take up a lot of room.  However, when my parents came to visit, I took her to a miniature doll house store so she could find fun things to add to her ever growing supply of miniature things :)  She wanted me to share with her in this hobby, so I decided to make two miniature rooms that could hang on the wall.  I chose to make a kitchen and a library because they represented some of my favorite places to be.  As you know, I like antiques, so I chose that feel for the rooms.  These are tricky to get pictures of because of the glare.

DSC01667

For my miniature library, I bought a little suitcase looking box from Hobby Lobby.  I cut out one side and fit a piece of plastic into the opening.  I used scrapbook paper for the wallpaper and bought the furniture and accessories to place inside. 

IMG_6421

You can see inside better with the case open.  The rug is actually the lining that was already on the back of the case. 

DSC01680

This one was really hard to get a good picture of.  I started with a large canning jar.  I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the bottom of the jar.  I printed a circle of worn wood floor pattern and glued it onto the cardboard.  I carefully folded it to get it inside.  I bought the items inside, but modified the simple cupboard by adding the tin designs on the door.  They actually came in the bookshelves I used for the library.  I put food into the jars.  I used poppy seeds, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, wheat and thyme.  I glued everything securely into the cabinet before I placed it into the jar. 

DSC01683

Here is a top view.  There is a broom and mop on one side of the cabinet and a bucket full of vegetables on the other side.  I stained the cabinet, painted the wood chair and my dad helped me make the table. 

The library now hangs in my office and the kitchen sits in my Hoosier cabinet.  A nice compromise to share in one of my mom’s favorite hobbies.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. You've done a great job on your miniature rooms. I just got rid of my mother's dollhouse which she bought just before her cancer diagnosis. I didn't want it after she passed away but kept it so I could finish it for her. Fourteen years later, after having worked on it but not completing it, I sold it in a garage sale. It was huge and took up space I didn't have. She had collected miniature pieces for it for years before she got the dollhouse so I saved all of those. You have given me some wonderful ideas and inspiration of how to recreate the rooms in a diorama sort of way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I hope you are able to find some fun things to do with the items you have saved. I have also seen rooms done in boxes and hung together on a wall to imitate the different rooms in a house. Good Luck! If you would like to share your project when you are done, email it to me and I'll post it here on Perhaps a Project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are lovely!! Would you share what size canning jar you used & where I might find a similar jar?
    Plz & Thnx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have them at Walmart in the canister Ile perfect sizes for a one room like this!

    ReplyDelete