Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mother’s Day Idea

Mother’s day is just around the corner and since I have to ship my gifts, I’ve got to get started.  I’m hunting for some fun and meaningful gift ideas.  Do you have any suggestions????  I will share a gift we made for our Grandma’s.  I think these were actually for Christmas, but they would work well for Mother’s day too.

 DSC03538   DSC03539

This one was for my Mom.  It says Grandchildren on one side and the other has all of her Grandchildren in order.  She has a few more since I made this :)  I hung them on an earring rack.

 DSC03533DSC03535IMG_6246

This one was for my Mother-in-Law.  Same idea, but put on a lamp shade.

  1. Drill a small hole in the top of each scrabble tile with the smallest drill bit you can find.  Just drill down enough to get the eye hook started.  If you drill too far, the tile will crack.
  2. Using small pliers, hold the  screw eye hook and carefully screw into the small hole you drilled.  Go slowly, or you might crack the tile.
  3. Print pictures the size of your scrabble tiles.  I had them all on one piece of cardstock. 
  4. Spray pictures with a sealer.  I found this at my local craft store.
  5. Cut out pictures and use Mod Podge to attach to the back of the scrabble tiles.  Brush a layer of Mod Podge over the top of the pictures.
  6. Let dry completely.
  7. Attach tiles to your chosen display.  I used ornament hooks for the earring holder one.  For the lamp shade, I poked holes with a large thumb tack and then attached the tiles with split rings I bought at the craft store in the jewelry department.

The beautiful thing is that you can just Mod Podge more current pictures over the top as the kids get older.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Cute idea Tanya! I love how many fun things you can do with Scrabble tiles!

    ReplyDelete