Thursday, March 24, 2011

Office Makeover

When we moved into our house, the office looked like this…DSC02457

We loved the green paint, but I wanted to try out an idea that had been rambling about in my brain for a while.  We put in wood flooring and changed out the light fixture.  We also put up new window coverings.  My favorite project however was the change to the walls.  I went to Salvation Army and bought an old partial set of encyclopedias.  I spent several hours going through them and cutting out pages that interested me.  Next, I got to work with my handy bottle of Mod Podge  Working with one page at a time, I spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on the back of the page and stuck it to the wall.  I put another thin layer over the top.  I kept working, overlapping page edges and corners until I had covered the whole area.  I spent extra time on the outside corners to be sure the pages were stuck well.  Then I let it all dry.  I did have a few air bubbles that I tried to smooth out as I went.  Some I had to pop with a pin and let the air out.  There are a few wrinkles too, but once it was dry, you could not tell.  I really love the look of it. It expresses my interests and is perfect for my office/library.  I’ve heard of people doing this same technique with sheet music. 

DSC03046 

I love the slight yellowing on some of the pages.

DSC03050

The finished product makes me smile :)

DSC03057

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Tanya! I LOVE it! Such a great idea, especially for an office! Keep us updated on how the Mod Podge wears compared to the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually a project we completed about 1 1/2 years ago. It wears better than the paint and much better than any wall paper we have had. The corners don't even have a nick in them. I just love the look of it :)

    ReplyDelete