Friday, April 1, 2011

Adjustable Fabric Headbands

I saw a really cute adjustable headband in a craft boutique recently.  It said it would adjust from a child to adult size.  I must have a big head because it in no way fit me.  (No making fun of me now…)  I liked the concept however.  I love headbands, but they tend to give me headaches or slide right off my head.  I played around with a few different methods and this one worked the best for me. 

1. I chose two fabrics I liked.  I decided to go with two different blue patterns.  I cut a 2 inch x 14 inch piece of each.  I placed the right sides together and stitched down each of the long sides with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Leave the short ends open.  You now have a tube.  Flip the tube right side out and iron flat so that it looks like this…

IMG_6600 IMG_6601 2. Tuck the short ends in about 1/4 of an inch.

IMG_6602 3. Cut a 2 inch piece of elastic.  3/8 inch wide elastic is best, but I used 1/2 inch and cut it down a little.    

IMG_6593                       IMG_6618

4. You will need the strap slides and rings shown above.  I found them at Joann Crafts.  Slip the elastic through the circle.  Tuck the ends of the elastic into the end of the headband.  Top stitch to close the end and secure the elastic.  You will want to go over it a few times to make it extra strong.

IMG_6605 5. This next part is tricky, so I’ve taken several pictures to try and explain.  Run the elastic through the slide.  Sew the end down, going over it a few times to make it secure.  Run the other end of the elastic through the ring you already attached into the headband.  Run the elastic back through the slide. 

IMG_6604  IMG_6610  IMG_6611  IMG_6613

6. Place the end of the elastic into the open end of the headband and stitch closed.  Remember to sew over it a few times.  Top stitch around the edges of the headband.

IMG_6614 All Done!!  My daughter and I plan to make several of these in different  colors. 

IMG_6615 IMG_6617

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment