Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Quilting!

I have been busy making baby quilts for friends and family.  Today my sister in law had a baby GIRL!!  Yes it really does deserve to be all in capitals.  Our family (on my husband’s side) has had 13 grandchildren.  My daughter was the first grandchild and the only girl until today :) There are now 14 and we get to add this precious little girl.  She deserves an extra dose of celebrating!  We are very excited! 

Since we did not know if she would be a boy or a girl, I made two quilts and another girl quilt for a friend.  My other Sister in Law Kimberly described our sewing skills the best.  She said “We can sew squares and rectangles.”  I’m not very skilled with my sewing machine, so I started with the basics. 

imageI bought a book called Super Simple Quilts.  It showed me step by easy step how to make these pieced quilts.  It told me exactly how much fabric to buy, how to cut it and how to piece it all together.  I’m really happy with how they turned out.  They really were pretty simple.  I did have my friend Janelle come over and show me how to bind them.  The book does explain this, but I needed a little extra help :)

 

  IMG_8223 This first one I made from instructions from my Mother in Law.  It really was quite easy.  I plan to make more in this style and I will take step by step pictures to give the instructions. 

IMG_8226

This one is for my friend Danielle.  I made it mainly from flannel.  The brown strips are fleece with raised bumps.  It is so soft and comfy!  Sewing with the fleece was rather challenging.  It stretches and did not want to behave for me when I was sewing the strips together.  It worked just fine on the back, but I don’t think I’ll try to do a pieced quilt with it again.

IMG_8224

This one turned out so cute.  It has lady bugs and white daisies.  It was my Brother in Laws favorite, so this is the one we will give to the new baby.  What a rewarding project!

Pin It Now!

1 comment: