Thursday, October 4, 2012

Monogram Door Decor

IMG_4879

I LOVE my new door décor!  Fall is one of my favorite seasons, but decorating my door is a bit tricky.  To begin with, my door is painted a deep burgundy which does not go with many colors.  I also have a glass storm door that is lovely for many reasons, but there is not much room between it and the door.  Certainly not enough space for a wreath.  I saw something similar to this on pinterest and knew it would be perfect. The beauty is that I can switch it up for each season.   I love how it contrasts nicely with the door and you can see it clearly.

The basics you will need:

wood letter – choose a size that you like.  I bought mine at Michaels craft for $3.99.  It is about 9 inches tall and 1/2 inch thick. 

burlap – for most letters you only need a strip of this.  Some letters will be trickier to hang than others.  A letter T for example may need to be held up on both sides, or looped around the center post instead of the top.

colored fabric – I used some canvas I had, but most anything would work.  Cream worked well for me, but if you have a light colored door, you may want to choose something that contrasts nicely.

button – This is your little bit of color that stays with the hanging year round. I used a nice green I thought would go with most seasons.

two Floral picks – I used ones for Fall, but I will switch them out for different ones each season. 

glue gun and glue

paint – I used Rustoleum’s Antique White spray paint and burnt umber craft paint.  Any dark brown will work. If you have a white door, you will want to choose something that contrasts nicely. 

sand paper

paper towel or clean rag

clear sealer – several brands carry a this in spray paint.

Felt – any color.  This is for the back of the letter to cushion it from hitting the door.

I did not get pictures, of the process, but I’ll walk you through it. 

Spray paint the letter your chosen color and allow to dry.  My letter was white when I bought it.  I used 3 coats of paint applied with about 20 minutes in between each. 

After the paint has dried, use sand paper to rough up the edges of the letter. 

Mix the burnt umber paint with a few drops of water to make it runnier. Apply to the letter front and sides.  Wipe off immediately with a paper towel or clean rag.  This gives an antiqued look to the letter.  Keep going until you are happy with the results.  After it dries, apply a few coats of clear sealer.

Cut the burlap to about 2 1/2 inches wide.  The length will depend on how far you want it to hang down.  Mine is about 22 inches.  Wrap it around your letter and tie a knot.  Don’t make it too tight, because you will be sliding the floral picks through it later.  Test this out before you glue anything else.  I had to “encourage” the ends to hang the way I wanted with some hot glue.  Once you have it the way you want, glue the burlap to the back of the letter to keep it in place. You can fray the edges if you like.

Tear your colored fabric to about 1 1/2 inches wide.  I used 12 inches of length, but again this can be adapted to the length you want. Loop the fabric around the base of your burlap knot.  Tie behind the knot and then tie anther knot near the ends.  This is your “hanger”.

Make a rolled fabric flower from your colored fabric.  Here is a good tutorial from simply {kierste} on how to make them.  Glue your button to the front. Glue the flower to the base of your burlap knot covering where you looped the strip of colored fabric hanger.

Slip the two floral picks through the burlap knot.  I am a symmetrical kind of person, so I put one through on each side. 

Cut strips of felt and glue to the back of the letter.  This is just to protect your door and keep your letter from making knocking sounds whenever you open the door.  (The marks on my door in the picture were there before I started Smile)

And you are done!  Leave me a comment with any questions regarding this project you may have. 

IMG_4882  IMG_4881

Some more Fall décor

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment